Saturday, December 17, 2011

Affection and Joseph.

I will never forget this moment with Joseph.

One of the last days I was in China, I told Grady (16 year old orphan at SFCV) I would pick him up at his house to go play cards with him and some of the other interns over at the Inn. Joseph (roommate of Grady) was over at the house and was pleading to go play cards as well. His nannies ended up letting him go so we all walked together.

While we were walking, Joseph reached out and started holding my hand.

I didn't think much about it really. We ended up playing lots of cards, taking pictures, and laughing way to hard. (Joseph loves cards, post on that later :)

After our fun, I kept thinking about that moment. I felt honored that he wanted to hold my hand but also it opened me to a new side of Joseph I have never seen before or realized Joseph had. Joseph is affectionate. He reaches out to people he is close with.

Even though he is 12 years old, I saw him strive for that affection this summer from the visitors/staff etc. Maybe that is a reason he started holding my hand. :)

Maybe he strives for that affection because he has never known what it feels like to have an affectionate family. To have a father pat him on the back and say "Good job son" or a mother telling him " I love you sweetie." Don't get me wrong, I am so thankful he is in SFCV but again, there is nothing like a forever family.

All I know is that I saw a different side of Joseph and it was a moment I will never forget. :)


                                                       Joseph and I being goofy that day :)                
                                         
                                                             
                                                             One year and 5 months.

1 comment: